Friday, December 10, 2010

My final project.








 
          I've always been interested in film photography. There's a certain mystery that goes along with it. You never really know what you'll get. It takes thought to compose your image and expose it the right way since you can't see the image right away and have a limited amount of frames. While digital photography has it's place, I just do not find it as challenging as film. I like to challenge my mind when I create any sort of art. 
That is why I decided to shoot this project in film. I was also thinking about the colour of the film. I used Kodak Portra NC 400 (NC refers to Natural Colour). It is my favorite colour film. This particular film does not process toward any colour (Fugifilm leans more toward green, some other types of Kodak lean toward red and magenta). 
I've also been playing around with medium format cameras. I picked up a 120 Holga and fixed up an old Reflekta II twin lens reflex camera. I was originally going to do this project with the Reflekta II but then one of my wonderful co-workers lent me his Pentax 645 camera. I fell in love with it and decided to change my idea a bit (I am buying one for myself soon). 
Once I decided on the equipment I was going to use, I had to think of a subject. I wanted something that I don't do often. I thought of doing nudes but it's rather hard to find models that will do that. So I decided to do simulated nudes. I want the viewer to think the model is nude without them actually being nude. I noticed when I got the film back that there were some images that can be seen as sexual or non-sexual. I decided that I would be exploring the line between them through out the series. I chose to work with two models, one male and one female. I  wanted a greater range of images. I didn't want this series to be about just one person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment